The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program assists very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses, and apartments.

A family that is issued a voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit where the owner agrees to rent under the Program. This unit may include the family's current residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety.

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the LACDA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the Program.


Applicants on the waiting list are served based on the LACDA admissions preferences, and then by date and time. Selection criteria includes jurisdiction and funding availability. Due to the length of the waiting list, funding and voucher availability, the LACDA is unable to provide a specific date when applicants on the waiting list will be served.

All applicants should open or access the online portal to be able to update address, contact information, family composition, and other pertinent information.  The portal provides a 24-hour access.

The LACDA must be able to reach you by mail.  If you move or your family composition changes while you are on the waiting list, you must notify us immediately by calling (626) 262-4510, extension 11205.  Failure to report changes may result in removal of your name from the waiting list.
Applicants should check their waiting list status at least once a year.  You can check your status here or you can call ((626) 262-4510, extension 11205.  Please have your Social Security number and date of birth ready for identity purposes.

You can update your information here or by mail.  To submit changes in writing to our mailing address, you must include the name and Social Security number or "p" number for the Head of Household, and the previous and new address. Always keep a copy of your correspondence for your records.